- Bayer Indonesia
- Transfers of Value to Healthcare Professionals
AF is an abnormal heart rhythm characterized by rapid and irregular beating of the atria, which is often found in the world population including in Indonesia. AF patients have a 5 times higher risk of having a stroke than people without AF1.
AF can lead to blood clots and if a clot breaks off, enters the bloodstream and lodges in an artery leading to the brain, a stroke result. Paralysis is a form of disability that is often found in stroke cases with AF.
The number of stroke patients in Indonesia has increased rapidly. 10.9 per 1,000 Indonesians have strokes in 20182. 37% patient with AF with age less than 75 years old, ischemic stroke is the first symptom to be found3.
Indonesia is also facing the aging population. The elderly population was increased from 7.74% in 2000 to 28.68% in 20504. This condition will reflect the increase of AF5-7 and based on gender, AF is more occurred in men compared to women5-6.
The full results from the XANAP (RIVAROXABAN for Prevention of Stroke in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation in Asia) study were published in the Journal of Arrhythmia, (the official publication of the Asia Pacific and Japan Heart Rhythm Societies) gives the good news for AF patients in Indonesia.
XANAP, which was conducted across 10 Asian countries involved 2,273 patients – including 126 Indonesian patients – is the first and largest prospective study to date in Asia investigating the use of the non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant (NOAC) RIVAROXABAN in a broad patient population with the heart rhythm disorder non-valvular atrial fibrillation (AF). The real-world data highlight low bleeding rate (1.5% per year) and low stroke rate (only 1.7% per year) in AF patients treated with RIVAROXABAN, and confirms RIVAROXABAN’s robust safety and efficacy benefit in Asian patients8.
2. RISKESDAS 2018
3. Jaakkola J, Mustonen P, Kiviniemi T, Hartikainen JE, Palomaki A, Hatikainen P, Nuotio I, Yliatalo A dan Airaksinen KE. Stroke as The First Manifestation of Atrial Fibrillation. PloS One. 2016;11:e0168010
4. Gambaran kesehatan usia lanjut di Indonesia. Buletin Jendela Data dan Informasi Kesehatan 2013
5. Go et al. JAMA 2001;
6. Heeringa et al. Eur Heart J 2006
7. Benjamin et al. JAMA 1994
8. YH Kim, J Shim, CT Tsai, et al. XANAP: A Real‐world, Prospective, Observational Study of Patients Treated with Rivaroxaban® for Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation in Asia. Journal of Arrhythmia 2018; 01-10. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.102/joa3.12073
Advice for patients : Each body reacts differently to medicines. Therefore, it is impossible to tell which medicine works best for you. Please consult your physician.