- Bayer Indonesia
There are different types of contraception, including the birth control pill. Pills influence women’s hormone levels to prevent mature eggs from being released by the ovaries (ovulation).
Pill works mainly by stopping ovaries from releasing an egg each month (ovulation). They also increase the thickness of the natural mucus at the neck of the womb, making it more difficult for sperm to cross from the vagina into the womb, as well as thinning the womb lining (endometrium), making it more difficult for any successfully fertilized eggs to implant there 2.
Short-Acting Contraception Using Combined Oral Contraceptive Pills
- Drospirenone and Ethinyl estradiol
This contraceptive pill contains the combination of two hormones: Ethinyl estradiol 0.03 mg, a synthetic Estrogen, and Drospirenone 3 mg, a synthetic progesterone, which work together to protect against pregnancy.
This pill also has non-contraceptive benefits :
- improvement in symptoms such as bloating, swelling or weight gain related to fluid retention
- more regular and lighter periods which potentially may result in a decrease in anemia (iron deficiency)
- a decrease in period pain
- improvement of appearance related to acne associated with hormonal imbalance
A 28-day pill regimen comprising of 21 days of daily consumption, followed by 7 pill-free days.
- Ethinyl estradiol and Levonorgestrel
This contraceptive pill contains two hormones: Ethinyl estradiol 0.03 mg and Levonorgestrel 0.150 mg that are similar to the natural hormones, estrogen and progesterone, which are produced by a women’s body.
This pill work mainly by stopping ovaries from releasing an egg each month (ovulation). They also increase the thickness of the natural mucus at the neck of the womb, making it more difficult for sperm to cross from the vagina into the womb, as well as thinning the womb lining (endometrium), making it more difficult for any successfully fertilized eggs to implant there2.
Short-Acting Contraception Using Single Hormone
This contraceptive pill contains hormone Levonorgestrel 0.03 mg, a synthetic progesterone that is used in a progesterone only pill (POP). Since this pill contains progestin only, so it’s considered to be safer for breastfeeding mothers3.
2. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1058- 967/levonorgestrel-ethinyl-estradiol-oral/levonorgestrel- ethinyl-estradiol-non-cyclic-contraceptive-oral/details
3. Goulding Alison N., Wouk Kathryn, and Stuebe Alison M., Contraception and Breastfeeding at 4 Months Postpartum Among Women Intending to Breastfeed. Breastfeeding Medicine. January 2018, 13(1): 75-80.
Further info, visit: www.bicarakontrasepsi.com
IG & FB Bicara Kontrasepsi
Advice for Patients : Each body reacts differently to medicines. Therefore, it is impossible to tell which medicine works best for you. Please consult your physician.