- Health at Bayer
Treatments & Therapies
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Eye Conditions
- Healthy Aging
- Hormonal & Reproductive Health
Innovation & Technologies
- Innovation powered by people
- Cell and Gene Therapy
- Patient Access Charter
- Leadership Perspective
- Strengthening Healthcare Access
Empowering Women, Globally
- Boosting Family Planning Usage through Digital Channels
- Capacity building: Addressing Root Causes through Partnerships
- Impact at Scale: The Challenge Initiative
- Promoting Awareness: World Contraception Day (WCD) & the Your Life Campaign
- Providing Accessible and Affordable Contraceptives
- Enabling Family Planning in Humanitarian Settings
- Fighting Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Moving Non-Communicable Diseases Care Forward
- Ensuring a Sustainable Product Supply
- Delivering Better Cancer Care
- News & Stories
- Clinical Trials Explorer
- Transparency Policy
- Treatments & Therapies
- Our Commitments
- News & Stories
- Report a Side Effect
- Medical Counterfeits
Cardiovascular disease is the number-one cause of death in many industrialized countries.
The human heart muscle contracts about 70 to 80 times a minute to pump blood through the body. In this way, the heart supplies the organs with oxygen and important nutrients. But what if the blood supply to the heart muscle itself, or parts of it, fails? This is what happens, for example, when heart blood vessels get clogged up with blood clots. The consequence can be what is known as a myocardial infarction – a heart attack.
Most heart attacks begin slowly and are accompanied by chest pain, discomfort, shortness of breath, or outbreaks of sweating. Because such symptoms are not clear-cut, some people wait too long before seeking help. Yet a heart attack can be fatal. A doctor should therefore be consulted as quickly as possible.
Advice for patients
Each body reacts differently to medicines. Therefore it is impossible to tell which medicine works best for you. Please consult your physician.
Risk factors for a heart attack include high blood pressure, smoking, lack of exercise, being overweight, high blood cholesterol and diabetes.
The main treatment goal for patients who suffered a heart attack is to prevent death, stroke or another heart attack by removing an existing blood clot, and subsequently stopping the formation of new clots. Bayer offers products that may be of benefit for these patients. It is important for doctors and patients to discuss all available treatment options to ensure the patient receives the best medication for him / her.